The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), sometimes called EIC, is a tax credit for workers with low to moderate income. Eligibility for the tax credit is based on various factors including family size, filing status and income. When EITC exceeds the amount of taxes owed, it results in a tax refund to those who claim and qualify for the credit. The credit is subject to income limitations.
General Program Requirements
To qualify for EITC you:
- Must have a Social Security number that is valid for employment
- Must have earned income from wages or running a business or a farm
- May have some investment income
- Generally must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien all year
- Cannot file as married filing separately
- Cannot be a qualifying child of another person
- Cannot file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (related to foreign earned income)
Your Next Steps
The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.
To claim EITC you must file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file.
Program Contact Information