Search Benefits

VA - Birth Defects Assistance - Payments for Children with Spina Bifida whose Parents Served in Vietnam or Korea Benefits

Program Description

Spina bifida patients who are natural children of Vietnam and Korea Veterans may be eligible for a monthly monetary allowance.

Please note: If you want to apply for either of the other spina bifida benefits (health care assistance or vocational training), you must start by applying for the monthly allowance.

General Program Requirements

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be the biological child of a male or female Veteran who served in Vietnam or on the Korean demilitarized zone during specific time periods.

Your birth father or mother must have:
  • Served in Vietnam during the period from January 9, 1962, through May 7, 1975, OR
  • Served in or near the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) during the period from September 1, 1967, through August 31, 1971 and have been exposed to herbicides.

VA has no requirements regarding the character of the parent's discharge or the length of his or her service.

The affected child must:
  • Be diagnosed with a form of spina bifida other than spina bifida occulta.
  • Have been conceived after the date on which the Veteran first served in the Republic of Vietnam or in the DMZ in Korea.
Please note: In addition to the monthly monetary allowance, someone with spina bifida may also be eligible for health care specific to the disability, and vocational training if reasonably feasible. If you want to apply for these additional benefits, you must start by applying for the monthly allowance.

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.

Application Process

To complete an application, use VA Form 21-0304, "Benefits for Certain Children with Disabilities born of Vietnam and Korea Veterans."

Alternatively, VA can send you the form if you call 1-800-827-1000.

Program Contact Information

If you have questions:
  • Visit the Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) website to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
  • Call 1-800-827-1000
  • Call 1-800-829-4833, if you are hearing impaired
To apply for additional Veterans' benefits and view your benefit status, open an eBenefits Premium account. eBenefits is a one-stop source for information on Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits and services. With a free Premium level eBenefits account, Veterans and Servicemembers can conduct self-service transactions such as checking claim status information, GI Bill enrollment, and obtaining copies of civil service preference letters, Form DD214, and other personal information. For further information and to register for a free Premium level account, visit the eBenefits website.