Search Benefits

D.C. Higher Education Financial Services Benefits

Program Description

The Higher Education Financial Services' programs and services include, but are not limited to:

The D.C. Adoption Scholarship (DCAS)- DCAS offers grant awards up to $10,000 per year for up to six years, with a lifetime maximum of $50,000, to District of Columbia children adopted through D.C. Child and Family Services Agency and/or children who have lost one or both parents in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

The D.C. Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG)- DCTAG assists D.C. residents with out-of-state tuition by paying the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition up to $10,000 a year for 6 years, with a lifetime maximum of $50,000. Undergraduate students who choose to attend private colleges and universities in the D.C. metropolitan area, including any private Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) are eligible to receive a grant for up to $2,500 a year, with a lifetime maximum of $12,500. The maximum annual award for two year community colleges is $2,500, with a lifetime maximum of $10,000.

All awards are processed on a first-come, first served basis and paid directly to the eligible institution.

General Program Requirements

Eligibility criteria for all programs include:
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal U.S. residency.
  • A minimum of 12-month D.C. residency prior to the initial application.
  • Good academic standing as defined by the postsecondary institution.
  • No current default status with any federal student loans.
  • Enrollment in an Associate's or Bachelor's degree seeking program.
  • No older than 25 years of age at the time of application (first-time applicants, DCTAG only).

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.

Application Process

You may apply for DCAS or DCTAG using the DC OneApp by visiting:

Program Contact Information

You can find out more information about the Higher Education Financial Services department at the D.C. State Education Office website and clicking on the "Higher Ed Financial Services" link on the left: