Welfare Info

Educational and Vocational Counseling

Educational and Vocational Counseling can help you: Assess your vocational interests, aptitudes and abilities Explore vocational career opportunities Select an appropriate vocational goal Address barriers that may impede success in traini...

What is Educational and Vocational Counseling?

Educational and Career Counseling can help you:

  • Assess your vocational interests, aptitudes and abilities
  • Explore career opportunities
  • Obtain guidance on effective use of VA benefits and resources to achieve education and career goals
  • Address barriers that may impede success in training or employment
  • Develop educational program objectives

Program Requirements

In order to be considered for this benefit program, you must meet one of the following: 

  • A transitioning Servicemember within six months of discharge from active duty 
  • A Veteran within one year of discharge from active dutyAny Servicemember or Veteran, eligible for VA educational assistance  
  • A qualified dependent eligible for VA educational assistance 

Note: Under both the Montgomery GI Bill and the Post-9/11 GI Bill, active duty Servicemembers have the option to transfer some or all of their educational benefit entitlement to their dependent(s). 

Generally, in order to receive VA benefits and services, the Veteran’s or Servicemember's character of discharge or release must be under other than dishonorable conditions (i.e., honorable, under honorable conditions, general). However, individuals receiving undesirable or bad conduct, and other types of dishonorable discharge may qualify for  certain VA benefits.

Application Details

What is the application process for Educational and Vocational Counseling?

The quickest way is to apply online at the eBenefits website, click on Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment and select "Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits."  You may also submit a completed application (VAF 28-8832) at the local VA Regional or outbased office, or mail the completed application to the closest Regional Office.

For more information, visit the VA's Education and  Career Counseling webpage.