Kansas Successful Families Program

Administration for Children and Families (ACF) in Living Assistance
December 19, 2018


The Successful Families Program has services for low income families including the following:

  • Cash assistance, also known as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Social services designed to strengthen families and remove barriers to economic independence including case management and support services and employment services to help families get a job
  • Support services for work, training, work activities, and education

The program helps families increase their skills, build on their strengths, and keep children in their homes. To receive help from Successful Families, a family must have at least one child in the home under the age of 19. The child may also be an unborn baby. The child may live with a parent or a relative. The child may also live with a person named by a court to take care of the child, such as a guardian, conservator, or custodian. Adults under the age of 60 must do one of the following in order to receive cash assistance for their family:

  • Work or be in work activities
  • Be in programs to help reduce barriers to work
  • Take care of a child under 12 months of age
  • Take care of a disabled household member

Families may get cash assistance while they look for work as long as they meet program requirements. This includes cooperating with Child Support Program requirements. Families can only get TANF for 48 months in a lifetime. Families who get TANF also get medical benefits and may get childcare. Cash benefit levels depend upon the family's income. The benefit level also depends on the county where the family lives. Families may receive support services while they are getting cash assistance and also for a year after they quit getting cash assistance. Contact us today to learn more about the Successful Families Program.


Kansas Successful Families Program is administered by Administration for Children and Families (ACF).

Program Requirements:

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of Kansas, either pregnant or responsible for a child under 19 years of age, a U.S. national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident, have low or very low income, and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed.

Application Details

Apply online by going to the Online Application page.

Paper copies must be submitted to your local Department for Children and Families office, which you can find on the Office Locator page.



Explore More Benefits

Child and Adult Care Food Program
Kansas Head Start
Kansas HealthWave (SCHIP)
Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
Kansas Medicaid
Kansas Successful Families Program
Kansas Unemployment Insurance

Welfare Info