Search Benefits

Maryland Medical Assistance Program Benefits

Program Description

Medicaid, also called Medical Assistance, is a program that pays the medical bills of certain needy and low-income individuals. It is administered by the state and pays medical bills with Federal and state funds.

Medicaid coverage is automatically granted to individuals receiving other public assistance, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA), and Foster Care. Low-income families, children, pregnant women, and aged, blind, or disabled adults may also qualify for Medicaid. You can have private health insurance and be eligible for Medicaid. The rules are different for different groups and the kinds of medical care covered are different for different groups. If you need help paying for your own or your family's medical bills, you should find out for sure about your eligibility for Medical Assistance by filing an application at your Local Department of Social Services.

Benefits and eligibility requirements are standard across the state.

General Program Requirements

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of Maryland, a U.S. national, citizen or permanent resident and in need of health care/insurance assistance, whose financial situation would be characterized as low income or very low income. You must also be either pregnant, have child(ren) with a disability, or be responsible for children under 21 years of age.

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.

Application Process

For more information, see the Program Contact Information below.

Program Contact Information

To apply for Medical Assistance go to your Local Department of Social Services (LDSS). To find the office nearest you, visit:
For additional information on the Medicaid Program and eligibility requirements, visit:
For more information and to apply, call: 1-800-332-6347
If you are applying for the Maryland Children's Health Program for a child or a pregnant woman, you may apply at your Local Health Department.