Nebraska Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Administration for Children and Families (ACF) in Living Assistance
December 19, 2018


The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) in Nebraska is called Aid to Dependent Children (ADC). The program provides cash assistance to low-income families with minor children. ADC income is used to pay for family living expenses like rent, utilities, food, clothing, and other necessities. ADC is often the only source of cash assistance for a family.

In some instances, ADC families may consist of children and both parents. In other situations, there may be a parent absent due to separation, divorce, or death. In instances where both parents are absent, a different family member such as a grandparent, aunt, or uncle may receive ADC on behalf of the child(ren). All ADC adults who are able must participate in the Employment First program. Employment First provides training, education, work experience, and employment related activities and supportive services to ADC adults.


Nebraska Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is administered by Administration for Children and Families (ACF).

Program Requirements:

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of Nebraska, either pregnant or responsible for a child under 19 years of age, a U.S. national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident, have low or very low income, and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed. Adult recipients who are able to work are required to cooperate with the Employment First Process.

Application Details

To apply online for Nebraska Aid to Dependent Children and all other benefit programs administered by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services please fill out an application using ACCESSNebraska.


(800) 383-4278

Explore More Benefits

Nebraska Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
Nebraska Head Start
Nebraska Medical Assistance Program
Nebraska School Breakfast and Lunch Program
Nebraska Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Welfare Info