Social Security Disabled Surviving Divorced Spouse Benefits Benefits
Program DescriptionThese benefits are paid to the disabled surviving divorced spouse of a worker who had earned enough Social Security credits.
In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be divorced from a deceased spouse and meet the following requirements:
- Be at least age 50 but not yet age 60
- Have been married at least 10 years before the date the divorce became final
- Meet the disability related requirements
- Be unmarried, unless the marriage can be disregarded
- Not receiving a higher Social Security retirement benefit based on your own work.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.
Application ProcessIf you would like to find out if you may be eligible for any of the benefits SSA administers, visit http://best.ssa.gov.
Once you have completed the eligibility screening questionnaire, you will be provided with a list of benefits for which you may be eligible. Print this page for your records before going to the application site.
Once you know which benefits you can apply for, go to http://www.socialsecurity.gov/appl yonline/ to apply online.
You can also call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778) for additional information about SSA benefits and for application information.
Program Contact Information
1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778)