Search Benefits

Tennessee Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Benefits

Program Description

In Tennessee, the WIC program provides nutritious education, health care referrals, breastfeeding support and supplemental nutritious foods to nearly 150,000 women, infants, and children under the age of five through departments in 95 counties. The program services to certify participants and issue vouchers for the foods are provided at approximately 155 local health departments, primary care, and hospital sites throughout the state. Vouchers are issued in three month increments, and can be redeemed at one of the approximately 1,200 participating grocery stores in Tennessee that have contracts with the Tennessee Department of Health to redeem WIC vouchers.

General Program Requirements

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of Tennessee, pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum woman, infant or child up to five years of age and are individually determined by a health professional to be at nutrition risk.

In order to qualify, you must have an annual household income (before taxes) that is below the following amounts:
Household Size* Maximum Income Level (Per Year)
1 $21,775
2 $29,471
3 $37,167
4 $44,863
5 $52,559
6 $60,255
7 $67,951
8 $75,647
A person who participates or has family members who participate in certain other benefit programs, such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), automatically meets the income eligibility requirement.

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.

Application Process

To apply, set up an appointment at the WIC clinic closest to you:

Program Contact Information

For more information on WIC in Tennessee, please visit the WIC website:
You can also call toll-free: 1-800-342-5942
For Federal program information, visit USDA's Women, Infants, and Children program page.

You may also visit the U.S Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) Toll-Free Numbers for WIC State Agencies page for a list of toll free numbers.