Welfare Info

Wyoming Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)


What is Wyoming Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)?

The Wyoming Department of Family Services (DFS) administers the Heating Assistance or Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP). Benefits are based on household size, household income and the type of fuel used as the primary heating source. Payments are made directly to the fuel provider. Crisis Assistance payments are available to eligible clients who are facing an emergency situation: A life or health threatening situation, deposit funds for a fuel hook-up or to avoid a shut-off, or a heating system failure during winter months are considered crisis situations. LIEAP is a Federal emergency assistance block grant funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

LIEAP is paid for the months of November through May. Applications are accepted October first through the last day of February of the program year. To apply for Crisis Assistance you must FIRST complete the LIEAP Application and then complete the additional Crisis Application.


Wyoming Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is administered by Wyoming.

Program Requirements

Qualification Requirements Last Updated on 2025-03-01

To be eligible for this benefit program, you must be a resident of Wyoming and you must need financial assistance with home energy costs.

A person who participates or has family members who participate in certain other benefit programs, such as SNAP, SSI, TANF, automatically meets the eligibility requirement.

In order to qualify, you must also have an annual household income (before taxes) that is below 60 percent of the State Median Income:

Annual Household Income Limits (before taxes)
Household Size* Maximum Income Level (Per Year)
1 $34,862
2 $45,589
3 $56,315
4 $67,042
5 $77,769
6 $88,495
7 $90,507
8 $92,518

*For households with more than eight people, add $2,011 per additional person.

Application Details

What is the application process for Wyoming Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)?

To apply, you will need the following:

  • The application,
  • Proof of your household income (earned and unearned),
  • A copy of your most recent utility bill,
  • Photocopies of ID for every person in the household, and
  • Proof you pay or get child support

Then, print the application, fill it out and send it all to:
P.O. Box 827,
Cheyenne, WY 82003

Or you may fax it to:

Or you may scan and email it to:
[email protected]

If you have questions about your application, benefit amount, or payments please call 1-800-246-4221. The application can also be downloaded.

Contact Info


How to Apply

WYO Energy Assistance

(Will open 3rd party site in a new window)