Search Benefits

Veterans Pension Benefits

Program Description

Veterans Pension is a needs-based benefit paid to eligible wartime Veterans who meet certain age or non-service connected disability requirements.

General Program Requirements

Veterans may be eligible if he or she:
  • was discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions, AND
  • served 90 days or more of active duty with at least 1 day during a period of war time or if you entered service after September 7, 1980 at last 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty with at least 1 day during a period of wartime, AND
  • has countable family income that is below the amount set by Congress (unreimbursed medical expenses may reduce countable income), AND net worth is not excessive, AND
  • is age 65 or older, OR
  • has a permanent and total non-service connected disability(ies), OR
  • is a patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
  • is receiving Social Security disability benefits.
Wartime Service Requirements
World War I World War II Korea Vietnam Gulf War
  12/07/1941 to 12/31/1946 06/27/1950 to 01/31/1955   08/02/1990 through a date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law

Income and net worth limits apply. Higher income limits may apply if the Veteran is severely disabled. In addition, unreimbursed medical expenses may help to reduce the Veteran's countable income.

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.

Application Process

To complete an application, use VA Form 21-526, "Veteran's Application for Compensation and/or Pension or VA Form 21-527EZ, Application for Pension." You can also complete VA Form 21-526 online.

For more specific information, download the Fact Sheets.

Program Contact Information

If you have questions:
  • Visit the Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) website to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
  • Call 1-800-827-1000
  • Call 1-800-829-4833, if you are hearing impaired
To apply for additional Veterans' benefits and view your benefit status, open an eBenefits Premium account. eBenefits is a one-stop source for information on Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits and services. With a free Premium level eBenefits account, Veterans and Servicemembers can conduct self-service transactions such as checking claim status information, GI Bill enrollment, and obtaining copies of civil service preference letters, Form DD214, and other personal information. For further information and to register for a free Premium level account, visit the eBenefits website.